ARUNDEL WILDFOWL & WETLANDS TRUST
With 60 acres of ponds, lakes and reedbeds, The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust at Arundel, with its award winning visitor centre, is surrounded by ancient woodland, adjacent to the River Arun and overlooked by the town's historic castle. In such a stunning setting, it is the perfect place for a family day out that is different. Here you can find hundreds of the world's most spectacular swans, geese and ducks in idyllic settings. Many birds are so tame that they will feed straight from the hand.
TANGMERE MILITARY & AVIATION MUSEUM
The Museum was opened in 1982 with exhibits depicting 70 years of military aviation in Sussex, with special emphasis on the RAF at Tangmere and the air war over southern England from 1939 to 1945. The Museum has an intimate atmosphere lacking in many other museums of this kind; perhaps this is due to the enthusiasm of the volunteers who run the museum - many of whom were wartime RAF pilots, navigators and groundcrew.
A medieval lake, which dates back to the Doomsday Book, has been restored in a £1.7 million project. Southern Water has completed a second phase of dredging at historic Swanbourne Lake, near Arundel, to increase its depth to 1.5 metres to stop it drying out and safeguard its survival for future generations. Swanbourne Lake is renowned for its outstanding natural beauty, attracts thousands of visitors each year and is an important wildlife site. The beauty spot was the subject of John Constable's last great oil painting, Arundel Mill and Castle, in 1837.
The entrance to Denmans garden is through what was a farmyard, the Dairy Teashop until 1986 being the cowhouse to a working farm. Together with several other buildings this was the home farm to an estate built for and owned by Lord Denman in the 19th century. The main house (Westergate House) lies to the west of the garden across Denmans Lane. In 1946 The late Mrs Robinson and her husband bought what was then a rundown house, garden and its surrounding land. They sold the house and converted two cottages in the garden which became their home. A large Dutch light greenhouse was purchased in which strawberries, tomatoes and flowers for the London market were grown. This structure now houses unusual frost-tender species, their random planting creates the mood for the remaining 3 1/2 acres yet to be explored.
ARUNDEL BOAT CRUISES
River Arun cruises, run by Arundel Boatyard, operate two different cruises. The Arundel Castle boat operates hourly and provides visitor with a cruise up the Arun to the Black Rabbit pub and backup again. The Amberley castle boat departs twice a day, taking visitors to Amberley and back
Built at the end of the 11th century, Arundel Castle is both ancient castle and stately home. It has been the home of the Dukes of Norfolk and their ancestors for 850 years. Marvel at the grandeur of the perfectly preserved interior with its exquisite furniture, tapestries and rare collection of paintings by renowned artists including Van Dyck, Gainsborough, Canaletto and others. The Armoury is one of the few surviving collections of its kind while the Barons Hall contains an outstanding collection of 16th Century continental furniture. Exquisite craftsmanship is evident throughout the castle, the rich mahogany paneling and vaulting in The Library is one of the finest Regency interiors in the world. Many of the treasures on show reflect the family's Catholic beliefs. In the Dining Room a display case contains personal possessions of Mary Queen of Scots, including a 16th Century prayer book with illuminations and the rosary of beads of gold and enamel which she carried to her execution. The Fitzalan Chapel, founded in 1380, is still used as the burial place of the Dukes of Norfolk and The Private Chapel is one of the most perfect monuments of the 19th Century Catholic Revival in England.
BIGNOR ROMAN VILLA & MUSEUM
As with most Roman villas, the site evolved over several centuries, starting life as a simple farmstead with timber buildings in cAD190. During the 3rd century, a masonry building was constructed comprising of just four rooms - which formed the basis of the west wing of the final site. Some time later northern and southern wings were added, and then it was extended further still by the addition of an eastern wing. The final building now formed a complete square around a central courtyard, and comprised some 65 rooms in the main complex, with another 9 rooms located in various outbuildings. The majority of what remains today comprise the rooms in the western end of the north wing, and the bathhouse in the south eastern corner. These rooms, including the changing area of the bathhouse, contain some of the best preserved Roman mosaics in England, including the remains of the north corridor mosaic which extends some 79' (24m) and would have originally run the complete length of the wing.